The Soundcool® system is based on several modules such as players, effects, virtual instruments, mixers, etc. that run on Mac or PC computers. The modules can be interconnected to each other and can be controlled with the mouse or with the free app Soundcool® OSC Android or iOS (through WiFi) and/or by Kinect Xbox 360.
Step 1. Download the new Beta version Soundcool® version 3.0 available for Windows (64 bits) and Mac, including video tools and unzip it in your computer (here is the source code that can be run with Max).
Step 2. On a PC run Soundcool® 3. On a Mac install the .dmg file. For a full functionality you need to install Java.
Step 3. Download our free Apps Soundcool® OSC in your mobile device, Android and iPhone:
In order to control the slider/s of a Soundcool® module with the Xbox 360 Kinect install and revise the instructions of Synapse and activate the module’s toggle labeled “Kinect”.
New in Soundcool? Check out the tutorials.
LINKS TO FREE VST INSTRUMENTS, EFFECTS AND SOUND SAMPLES:
Editors and Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs):
- Audacity(R): a free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. The use of Audacity is encouraged for recording, editing, and preparing sounds to be played by Soundcool objects under the real-time control of students.
- Ohm Studio: a platform for solo and collaborative music production.
- MuLab: Music studio featuring an integrated top-quality modular synth and effect engine.
The last two were recommended by Prof. Ciprian Pop (ciprianpop.eu).
Below we post a selection of free VSTs. More plugins can be found using the search key words “free VST”. E.g.: vst4free.
- Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (SSO) Module: Free Full Orchestral Sample Library containing the full SSO by Mattias Westlund, nicely wrapped up into one simple VST plugin (32 & 64bit).
- +bubbler: a granular delay in which grains are pulled from the delay line with randomized start time, delay time and pitch shift. Developed by soundhack.
- Helm: Helm is a software synthesizer. You use it to create electronic music on your computer. Helm works almost everywhere in all major plugin formats.
- Crystal: Crystal is a semi-modular software synthesizer featuring both subtractive synthesis and frequency modulation (FM) synthesis.
- Alter Ego: Singing synthesis. It is specially tailored for musical needs – simply type in your lyrics, and then play on your MIDI keyboard.
- DSK Asian DreamZ: 7 Asian Instruments (Pipa, Pipa tremolo, Luan, Guzhen, Erhu, Ban di, Percussion kit).
- Versilian Studios Chamber Orchestra: A small selection of standard orchestral and wind ensemble instruments sampled at the most basic level.
- ZynAddSubFX: ZynAddSubFX is a fully featured open source software synthesizer capable of making a countless number of instruments.
- LinuxSampler: A free, streaming capable open source pure software audio sampler with high stability, efficiency and very low latency, providing professional. grade features.
- FluidSynth: A SoundFont Synthesizer. FluidSynth is a real-time software synthesizer based on the SoundFont 2 specifications and has reached widespread distribution.
- setBfree: A DSP (Digital Signal Processing) tonewheel organ based on the code of Fredrik Kilander’s Beatrix organ emulator.
(The last 4 were recommended by our colleagues from Zynthian).
- u-He Triple Cheese: Triple Cheese is a unique-sounding freeware synthesizer plugin. Triple Cheese uses various forms of comb filter i.e. very short chromatically tuned delays.
- Sinnah: a synth based on a single complex oscillator that includes five waveshapes with increasing spectral complexity, harmonics level for all waveshapes, noise level, and a delay matrix.
- TuneFish: a very tiny virtual analog synthesizer featuring a noise generator, filters, envelopes and effects.
The last three were recommended by Prof. Ciprian Pop (ciprianpop.eu).
- DSK BlueZ: 2 Oscillators with 134 waveforms and wavedraw option, sub oscillators, advanced filters, …
- DSK Analog Matrix: 2 OSC with 6 waveforms, amp. envelope, …
- DSK ThoR: 4 Osc, 5 waveforms, ADSR, …
- DSK DrumZ AkoustiK: Acoustic drums module.
The last four have been developed by DSK Music which specialises in VSTs, being most of them offered for free.
- Dexed: a FM synth closely modeled on the Yamaha DX7.
- Recommended from the “Tecnológico de Monterrey” (Mexico)
- Free Sampler Workstation: Independence Free combines virtual instrument technology, premium sound libraries and the Independence Sampler Workstation into one unique software solution.
- MFreeEffectsBundle: MFreeEffectsBundle contains a set of audio effects, which are completely free (AGC, Analyzer, AutoPitch, Autopan, BandPass, BitFun, ChanelMatrix, Comb, Compressor, Equalizer, Flanger, FreqShifter, Limiter, LoudnessAnalyzer, NoiseGenerator, Notepad, Oscillator, Oscilloscope, Phaser, Ratio, Recorder, RingModulator, StereoExpander, StereoScope, Tremolo, Tuner, Utility, Vibrato, WaveFolder, WaveShaper).
- Sonic Anomaly plugins: a collection of freeware VST plugins such as Transpire, TriLeveler 2, SEGX2, Leet Delay 2, QuadraCom, etc.
- We recommend the following Reverb VSTs:
- TAL-Reverb- 4
Other Reverb VSTs can be found here.
Free sound samples and effects:
- 2.000+ FREE SOUND EFFECTS: Database of free sound effects grouped by category: Free Amusement and Game Sounds, Free Animal Sounds, Free Appliance Sounds, Free Cartoon and Comic Sounds, etc.
- FREE SOUND FX: Database of free sound effects grouped by category: Animals/Insects, Bells, Cartoon/Comical, Doors/Windows, Emergency, Fire/Explosions, etc.
- FREESOUND: collaborative database of creative-commons licensed sound for musicians and sound lovers
- SampleRadar: a collections of loops, hits and multisamples in a wide range of genres.
Recommended by Prof. Ciprian Pop (ciprianpop.eu).
The following pieces of software: Soundcool for Windows and Mac, and Soundcool OSC app for Android and iOS, are provided “as is” without express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to warranties of commercialization and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall the creators or contributors be liable for any type of damage (direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, etc.) caused by these pieces of software (including, but not limited to, procurement of substitute goods or services, loss of use, data or profits or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of this software, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.